Thursday, September 10, 2009

Scones for Breakfast



Instead of my normal bread baking for breakfast tomorrow, I have decided to try my hands on some scones. Bought some cranberries, blueberries and raspberries during the weekend. So... tomorrow's breakfast shall be scones.
Scones are pretty easy to make and delicious.

Butter Scones

Ingredients:

250gm plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1tbsp sugar
a pinch of salt
100gm butter (cut into small cubes)
125gm cream (I used whipping cream)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
90gm berries of your choice (I used 30gm each of cranberries, blueberries and raspberries)
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk (for egg wash)
Walnuts as toppings

Method :
  • Preheat oven to 190C.
  • Sieve flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
  • Add in sugar and salt. Mix it well combined.
  • Rub butter into the flour with finger tips till it resembles breadcrumbs.
  • Mix in egg and cream with a knife
  • Toss the berries with some flour and mix into the dough (as I used 3 types of berries, I divided the dough into 3 portions and mixed in the berries separately)
  • Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and press it to about 2cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut them into cute little circles.
  • Tranfer them to a baking tray (lined with baking sheet or lightly oiled).
  • Egg wash the scones and place a walnut on top of each scones.
  • Bake at 190C for 12 - 15mins or until golden.
  • Serve warm with butter if you like.

These scones are soft, fluffy and not too sweet while the berries give it a fruity taste. They do not have a strong buttery flavour but instead the walnuts gave it a nutty flavour (just what my family likes).

I shall warm them up and serve them for breakfast tomorrow. Yum....


No comments:

Post a Comment