The ladies loved it as it is very soft and fluffy despite the fact that no baking powder or cream of tartar was added. For those interested to try, the recipe is below:
- 4 nos. egg yolk (size : grade A)
- 40ml corn oil
- 100gm superfine flour
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (dissolved in warm water)
- 70ml warm water /milk (I used milk)
- 5 nos egg white (size : grade A)
- 45gm sugar (add more if you prefer)
- 0.5 tsp lemon juice)
- Preheat oven at 170 C.
- Combine egg yolks, oil, flour, coffee and water/milk. Mix till well blended and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy.
- Gradually add in sugar and lemon juice. Continue whisking till stiff peak is formed.
- Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter with a whisk.
- Fold in the remaining egg yolk batter.
- Pour batter into a chiffon cake tin and bang the tin a couple of times to release the trapped bubbles.
- Bake in the oven at 170C for 30- 35 mins or till cooked.
- Remove cake from oven and invert it immediately to cool for 30 mins before slicing.
- I added some chocolate chips (50gm) into the batter while pouring it into the cake tin.
- Chiffon cakes must be inverted once it is out of the oven to prevent it from sinking.