Today I had the urge to bake something different. Instead of the normal green tea chiffon cake that I would bake once in a while, I decided to tweak it a little. (trying to be adventurous).
So.... I considered baking a green tea vanilla chiffon cake. Since I only had an 18" chiffon cake tin, I will have to use the same amount of ingredients and then divide it into half for green tea and the other for vanilla.
The end result was pretty good. See the lovely pattern on the cake.
Marbled Green Tea Chiffon Cake (18cm chiffon cake tin)
- 4 nos. egg yolk (size : grade A)
- 40ml corn oil
- 100gm superfine flour
- 1 tbsp green tea powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 70ml milk
- 5 nos egg white (size : grade A)
- 45gm sugar (add more if you prefer)
- 0.5 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven at 170 C.
- Combine egg yolks, oil, flour and milk. Mix till well blended and divide into 2 different bowls.
- In one bowl add in the green tea powder and blend well. Set aside.
- Add vanilla essence to the other bowl, blend well and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy.
- Gradually add in sugar and lemon juice. Continue whisking till stiff peak is formed.
- Divide the mixture into half.
- Mix 1/3 of the egg whites (from one half) into the egg yolk batter with the vanilla essence with a whisk.
- Fold in the remaining egg yolk batter. Set aside.
- Repeat steps 8 & 9 for the green tea batter.
- Pour batter (alternating the green tea and vanilla essence ) into a chiffon cake tin and bang the tin a couple of times to release the trapped bubbles.
- Bake in the oven at 170C for 30- 35 mins or till cooked.
- Remove cake from oven and invert it immediately to cool for 30 mins before slicing.