Sometimes, I would make plain buns (without fillings). The buns can be eaten plain or with butter, jam or kaya.
Purple Rice Buns
500gm High Protein Flour (Bread Flour)
60 gm Low Protein Flour (Cake Flour)
10 gm instant yeast
40gm purple rice powder
30 gm Horlicks
250ml fresh milk
150ml whipping cream
- Mix all ingredients in a mixer.
- Knead till gluten is fully developed and dough is elastic, smooth, non sticky and does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to prove till double in size (about 60 minutes)
- Punch out the dough and divide it into balls of 50gm each.
- Shape them into balls and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Flatten each dough and roll to your desired shape. (at this point, you can add in fillings of your choice)
- Place all dough in a baking tray (lined with parchment paper).
- Prove for about 45minutes or till dough double in size.
- Brush with egg wash and top with black and white sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven of
- 180C for 13-15minutes
- Remove buns immediately from tin onto a cooling rack. Serve.