I baked a savory bread recently. Noticed that lately my children seem to prefer savories to sweets in the mornings.
We love big onions in our food so when I baked an onion rosemary cheese bread it was snapped up during breakfast. This is a really fragrant bread as herbs are used. The aroma of this freshly baked bread is heavenly.
Onion Rosemary Cheese Bread
400gm High Protein Flour
8 gm salt
2 tsp instant yeast
250ml water/ milk
150gm fried onion rings
5gm dried rosemary
Some Onion Rings
Some Dried Rosemary
Some Dried Parsley
Some cheddar cheese
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast till well blended.
- Add in water and knead to form a dough.
- Add in shortening and continue kneading till a smooth dough is formed.
- Mix in fried onion rings and dried rosemary to the dough till well blended.
- Prove for about 45 minutes or till the dough double in size.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions, shape them into balls and leave them to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll them out into 30cm long shape and put them into a greased baking tray.
- Leave the dough to prove for another 45 minutes.
- Brush the top with egg wash.
- Arrange some onion rings on top of the bread and sprinkle with dried rosemary and parsley.
- Top with some cheddar cheese.
- Bake on the low shelf of a preheated oven of 190C for 25-30 minutes or till golden brown.