Monday, January 18, 2010

Cornflakes coated Black Sesame Tuna Buns






The title of this post is a mouthful. I was supposed to just bake some black sesame buns with tuna fillings yesterday. However, while rummaging through my larder I have found that I have a box of cornflakes hiding in there. While thinking of what I should do with it, I wondered if I could incorporate it into my buns (that I was preparing). So....I decided to try crushing some cornflakes and coat them onto the buns. It should be well received as both the cornflakes and buns are my children's favorite.

The aroma from the freshly baked buns was heavenly. The cornflakes gave the buns a crispy and crunchy outer layer while the tuna fillings provide a soft and moist interior. The buns were real soft. On the whole, I must say that it was a success... if I have not stopped the kids, we would have no buns for breakfast this morning! However, there is a downside .... the cornflakes will soften when the buns are kept for more than a few hours. So... to counter this issue, I just toast them in the oven for a few minutes and... viola!!!! crunchy buns again. Kids are happy ;0

Here is the recipe

Ingredients

500gm High Protein Flour (Bread Flour)
60 gm Low Protein Flour (Cake Flour)
10 gm instant yeast
40gm black sesame powder
30 gm Horlicks
60gm sugar
9gm salt
1 egg
250ml fresh milk
150ml whipping cream

Toppings:
some cornflakes (coarsely crushed)

Fillings :
1 tin of tuna flakes (drained away the water or oil)
1 big onion (chopped)
2-3tbsp mayonnaise
juice from 1/2 a lemon
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
** mix all the ingredients together****

Method :
  • Mix all ingredients in a mixer.
  • Knead till gluten is fully developed and dough is elastic, smooth, non sticky and does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl.
  • Cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to prove till double in size (about 60 minutes)
  • Punch out the dough and divide it into balls of 50gm each.
  • Shape them into balls and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
  • Flatten each dough and roll into a circle.
  • Wrap a tbsp of the filling onto the dough and shape it into an oblong shape.
  • Egg wash the buns to coat them with the crushed cornflakes.
  • Place all dough in a baking tray (lined with parchment paper).
  • Prove for about 45minutes or till dough double in size.
  • Bake in a preheated oven of
  • 180C for 13-15minutes
  • Remove buns immediately from tin onto a cooling rack. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment