Sunday, September 26, 2010

Batik Loaf

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is a very colourful bread that I made today. I called it Batik Loaf as it reminds me of a piece of Batik material I saw sometime back.

It’s Sunday today and I am back to preparing bread dough for my week’s supply. This time around, I made a few batches of Hokkaido Milk Bread dough. (for the recipe please click here). I made them in 4 different flavours. I added 40 gms of black sesame in one, 40 gms of cocoa powder in another and 2 tbsp of green tea powder in yet another while the plain one had 40 gms of Horlicks in it.

It’s been a while since I played with the dough….so I took 300gms from each batch of dough and to create this loaf.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA           OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA           OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The 4 dough after the 1st proving.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After the dough double in size, they were punched down and shaped into balls. Then I gave them a 10 minutes rest.

 

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA           OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The dough are then rolled into a rectangular shape with thickness of 1/4 inch.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Cut them into 1 inch strips.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I simply twist and turn all the 4 colours and form a loaf. Then place it into a loaf pan for the 2nd proving (approximately 60 mins). Look quite messy and not very appealing.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I tried a different technique for the other loaf. Did some basket weaving with the dough. After the 1st layer, I made yet another layer before placing it into another loaf pan for 2nd proving. It was quite fun!! Felt like a small girl playing with her “play doh”.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

See how much the dough had risen after 60 minutes.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Egg washed and sprinkle some sunflower seeds on top before placing them into the oven to bake.

 

And TADAA…..

this is what I get!

I had forgotten to snap a photo of the loaves before I sliced them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

They are so beautiful and flavourful.

You can eat it plain or spread some butter or nutella on it.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Each slice has it own unique design. How interesting!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I think I have created a designer bread… ha ha ha!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment