Since I mastered the skill of baking a Chiffon Cake without any leavening or stabilizing agent (like sodium bicarbonate or cream of tartar), I would bake at least 1 chiffon cake a week. It is so simple, fast and most importantly, I know I have not added any chemicals into the food that will be consumed by my family.
Chiffon cake is light and is just great for snacking and also breakfast. I like to make them plain without frosting as we do not fancy food laden with heaps of sugar. So with no butter and reduced sugar, this type of chiffon cake is just what the family likes.
If you have been reading my blog, you would have noticed that I have made quite a variety of chiffon cake with the same recipe. Recently, I made one using fresh orange juice and dried cranberries. The aroma of the orange permeating from the oven while the cake was baking was just heavenly. Another keeper!!
For those who would like to give it a try, here is the recipe.
Orange Cranberry Chiffon Cake
- 4 nos. egg yolk (size : grade A)
- 40ml corn oil
- 100gm superfine flour
- a handful of dried cranberries
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 70ml freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 5 nos egg white (size : grade A)
- 45gm sugar (add more if you prefer or if the orange is sour)
- Preheat oven at 170 C.
- Combine egg yolks, oil, flour and orange juice and orange zest. Set aside..
- In another bowl or mixer, whisk egg whites till frothy.
- Gradually add in sugar. and lemon juice. Continue whisking till stiff peak is formed.
- Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter with a whisk.
- Gently fold in another 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and the dried cranberries into the egg yolk batter. Do not over mix it as it will deflate the air bubbles..
- Pour batter into a chiffon cake tin and bang the tin a couple of times to release the trapped bubbles.
- Bake in the oven at 170C for 30- 35 mins or till cooked.
- Remove cake from oven and invert it immediately to cool for at least 30 mins before slicing.