Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pumpkin Porridge (Pumpkin Congee)

 

Sometimes I am amazed at what one could whipped up with some leftovers. We had some relatives over for a Potluck Party last weekend. I roasted 2 chicken for the occasion and had some leftovers that I could use for the week. Not wanting to cook something extravagant, I decided to cook us a pot of hearty delicious porridge for dinner on Tuesday.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Found a section of pumpkin in my fridge and thought it might be a good idea to cook pumpkin porridge. My version of cooking porridge is very simple, Whenever, I cook porridge, I like to throw in as many things as I can find (edible ones, of course) from my fridge and pantry. It’s always a nice concoction carrots, onions and meat.  It is by itself a one dish meal…so no need to cook any side dishes!!!

Here is how it’s done

Pumpkin Porridge

Ingredients
(Serves 4-5)

- 1 carrot – diced

- A small piece of pumpkin, skin removed & cut to small cubes (about 200g without skin)
- 200g leftover roasted chicken - diced (you can also use bacon  to better flavour
- 3 dried shitake mushrooms  -soaked and cut to cubes (but not too thin)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup of rice, washed
-  2 dried oyster – chopped (or 5-10 dried scallops)
- 10 red dates
- 2 litres of water
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp wolfberries
- 1 to 2 tsp of light soy sauce (adjust according to your liking)
- 30g salted fish, cut to small bits

Method

  1. Heat butter in wok. Saute garlic, onions and salted fish till fragrant.
  2. Add pumpkin, carrot,mushrooms and stir fry for a short while.
  3. Add uncooked rice and fry till the onions are clear.
  4. Transfer the stuff from the wok, wolfberries, red dates and the previously cooked meat, to a pot, add water, and bring to a boil.
  5. Frequently stir the pot  to prevent the rice from sticking to the base.
  6. Simmer on a low heat for about 20-30 minutes (or longer if you want congee*), while leaving lid partially covered (if you cover fully, the water will spill over).
  7. Season with light soy sauce.
  8. Garnish & serve.

Since I use a thermal pot,… instead of simmering for 20-30 mins, I just transfer the whole pot into the thermal. The porridge will be perfectly cooked within an hour. Economical and environmentally friendly ( Conserve gas)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My porridge is a bright orange due to the carrots and pumpkin.

Yummilious!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment