Sunday, April 25, 2010

Orange with Kaffir Lime Granita



Today is Sunday and it is a real sunny and hot day. (The weather lately has been extremely humid and hot here in Malaysia). As usual on weekends I will be busy in my kitchen preparing bread dough for next week’s breakfast.

Dear Hubby and my two sons went out early this morning to the city to get a PC for my eldest son. My eldest son started working this year as he is taking a 6 months break from his studies. (He will be starting his under-graduate studies in August this year). With the money he earned so far, he wants to get his own PC (the one he has now is more than 7 years old).

My daughter stayed home with me. Since it is so hot, I decided to try out the recipe on Orange and Kaffir Lime Granita that was posted by The Little Teowchew recently. It would be just perfect for the guys when they come home later in the day. Moreover, I have all the ingredients especially the Kaffir Lime Leaves as I have a plant in my garden.

It is really easy to make and it is really refreshing. The combination of Kaffir Lime and Orange is just perfect! An excellent choice to serve on a scorching hot day.


Orange with kaffir Lime Granita

(adapted from The Little Teowchew)

For the syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup regular sugar + 3tbsp sugar (I omitted the 3 tbsp as I am cutting down my sugar intake)
- About 6 to 7 kaffir lime leaves, torn (sub with lemongrass if they are more easily available)

For the juice
- 2 cups fresh orange juice, strained

Method
1. In a small saucepan, add water, sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar until you get a syrup consistency. Discard the leaves and leave to cool.


2. In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish (I used a metal dish), stir the cooled sugar syrup into the orange juice. Freeze for about 45 minutes, or until ice crystals form around the edge. Using a fork, stir the crystals into the center and freeze for about 30 minutes, until a thicker rim of crystals forms around the edges. Stir again and freeze for about 1 hour longer, stirring every 15 minutes or so until all the juice is frozen.

3. Scoop the granita into serving glasses, and top with vanilla ice cream (optional).


No comments:

Post a Comment