Monday, April 19, 2010

Carrot Cake Bread








I do not know if this is the correct name for this bread. I made it yesterday as I was trying to play around with the ingredients I have.


I have seen some bakeries selling chocolate bread topped with pandan or vanilla sponge cake. Instead of making the same as those bakeries, I decided to make a similar bread with different ingredients. For the bread, I used the Hokkaido Milk Bread with purple rice. The recipe is here. I had this dough prepared earlier and frozen. So, all I need to do is to pull out this dough and let it on the counter to defrost and prove.

For the topping, instead of the normal vanilla sponge, I used my chiffon cake recipe below.

Carrot Chiffon Cake.

Ingredients

4 egg yolks (Grade A)
40 ml corn oil
100 gm superfine flour
1 carrot finely grated and blended with 2 tbsp water (about 100gm)
1 tsp paprika
5 egg whiles (Grade A)
50gm castor sugar (add more if preferred)
0.5 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Method
  1. Combine egg yolks, oil, flour, carrot and paprika.
  2. Mix till well blended. Set aside.
  3. Whisk egg white till frothy
  4. Gradually add in sugar and lemon juice and whisking till soft peak is formed.
  5. Whisk in 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter till well combined.
  6. Fold in another 1/3 of the egg white mixture followed by the balance. Do not over mix the batter

To assemble and bake this bread :

  1. Once the bread dough doubles in size, punch it down and divide into 4 portions.
  2. Shape them into balls and let them rest for 15mins.
  3. Form the dough into 4 long strips.
  4. Place 2 strips each into 2 loaf tin (lined with parchment paper)
  5. Prove for about 45 -60mins until the dough double in size.
  6. During the last 10 mins of the proving, prepare the carrot chiffon cake mixture above.
  7. Pour half this mixture on top of each loaf tray.
  8. Bake in a 170C preheated oven for about 35-40mins.

Since I baked 2 loaves, I gave one to my mother. The bread has a bright yellow colour on the cake portion. No colouring is added as it is purely carrot! The bread portion on the other hand is slightly purplish. Very interesting colour. It taste good as the paprika goes well with carrot. This bread is soft and fluffy and can be eaten plain.



Try it .... It's a keeper!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment