Sunday, May 20, 2012

Linda Collister's Espresso Brownies


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I have not baked Brownies for awhile….

Last night while I was reading some food blogs, this particular recipe from Bisous A Toi caught my attention. I like the idea of adding coffee to the brownies and the marble effect with the cream cheese.

As I happened to have all the necessary ingredients, I went ahead and baked it today.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is a very aromatic brownie. Why would it not be?…. when there is so chocolaty. However, the scent of the coffee is rather faint. Perhaps I did not use a high quality coffee powder. Just used the normal instant Nescafe powder. Nonetheless, it is still delicious. The cream cheese layer (topping) has a slight crunch while the texture of the brownie is fine, moist and soft.

I did reduce the sugar by a little (as you know I am not a sweet tooth).
 
Linda Collister’s Expresso Brownies (adapted from Bisous A Toi )
Ingredients
230g Dark Cooking Chocolate - 70%
115g unsalted butter at room temperature
275g powdered sugar ( I reduced to 250g)
5 eggs - beat until just fluffy
2 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in a little hot water
70g flour
60g cocoa powder
20g full cream milk powder
100g Cream Cheese - room temperature
125g Butter
2 eggs - small size
40g Flour

Method
Cream cheese mixture
Beat cream cheese and butter until soft
Add in eggs one at a time
Once combined add in sifted flour and continue to whisk - put aside

Brownies
Melt dark cooking chocolate using double boil method - set aside
On a stand mixer,whisk butter and sugar till soft
Add in instant coffee.
Add in beaten egg and continue to whisk
Add in sifted flour, cocoa powder and milk powder.
Add in melted dark cooking chocolate..
Once mixed switch off mixer and pour batter into 22 x 22cm pan.. smoothen the top.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Pour a few dollops of cream cheese mixture on top of the chocolate batter.. do a little swirl to get a marble effect
Linda Collister's Espresso Brownies - with cream cheese swirls

Bake on preheated oven of 160C for 40-50 mins depending on your oven.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Fresh from the oven

Tea time treat
Linda Collister's Espresso Brownies 1
This is a keeper.
I bet my children will be asking for it again soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment