Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Walnut Pandan Chiffon Cake


I love baking simple cakes especially those that I can throw in whatever I can find from my pantry. The Chiffon cake that I normally bake is one of those that fits this description. It is something that I can whip up in less than an hour (10 mins preparation and 30mins baking).

I had some leftover santan (coconut milk) in my fridge and a packet of walnuts. So, I took 3 blades of pandan leaves from my garden and...... Viola !!!! I am ready to bake this wonderful and easy cake.


Walnut Pandan Chiffon Cake


Ingredient

4 Egg Yolk

Coconut Milk 70g + a pinch of salt

Superfine Flour 100g

3 blades of Pandan leaves (blend with 2 tbsp water till fine)

5 Egg White

Castor Sugar 40g (add more if u like it sweet)

0.5 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Roasted walnuts

Method:-

  1. Combine Ingredient 1 - 4 until well blended, leave aside.
  2. Beat egg whites with electric beater till frothy, add in the sugar and lemon juice. Then continue to beat till stiff peaks are formed.
  3. Mix 1/3 of egg white into egg yolk batter, and then FOLD in remaining egg white foam into batter with a whisk.
  4. Line the chiffon tin with walnuts
  5. Pour batter into chiffon tin and bang the tin to release the bubbles.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 175°C for 30 - 35 minutes* or till cooked.
  7. Remove from oven and invert cake tin immediately for 30 minutes.

* Adjust the temperature and timing according to your oven !



Note : By blending the pandan leaves, it will yield a dark green colored and more fragrant cake compared to just using the juice.

The walnut adds an additional texture and the nutty taste is a great match to the pandan chiffon cake.

Verdict : This is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment