Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sago Kueh




Sago Kueh (or Sago Cake) is a local traditional dessert. There are many ways of preparing it. Most recipes would call for boiling the sago in water. However, a friend of my taught me a very simple way of preparing this dessert (without the hassle of boiling the sago). It's just simply 4 steps :- soak, mix, steam & chill.

My Dad likes this dessert very much. Since I reduced the sugar in the recipe, Mommy likes it too. So, I made a tray and gave half to my parents and my children finished the rest.

Sago Kuah (Steamed)

Ingredients

300gm pearl sago (I used green colored sago)
100gm sugar
1 pandan leaf
1 coconut (grated) mixed with 1/2 tsp salt

Method

  • Soak the sago in water for about 1 1/2 hours or till they are translucent.
  • Rinse the sago and drain away the water.
  • Slightly oil a tray (for steaming). Oiling the tray will ensure that the sago will not stick to the base of the tray once cooked.
  • Incorporate the sugar into the sago (you can increase the sugar if you prefer it sweeter)
  • Pour the mixture into the tray and place a pandan leaf on top.
  • Steam for 15 minutes or till the sago becomes transparent.
  • Cool and chill in the refrigerator(covered with cling wrap).
  • Once chilled, cut the sago cake into small pieces with a plastic knife.
  • Toss in grated coconut.
  • Serve.
This dessert is delicious and great to eat while sitting in front of the TV ;p
My daughter's favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment