Sunday, August 22, 2010

No Bake Pots de Creme

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Yesterday I found that I had a box of good quality dark chocolate stowed away in my larder for quite awhile. In fact, it was a prize from a lucky draw by the Singapore Tourism Board when we last visited Singapore some time back. It came with a fondue set. We were supposed to use the chocolate as fondue but we have totally forgotten about it.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Since the expiry date is just a couple of months away, I will need to use it up as soon as possible. I remembered reading a post by Ju of The Little Teochew about  how she used up some chocolate chips that were nearing expiring to create a great dessert. Zeroed into her post and was immediately motivated and inspired to make it as the recipe seemed very easy. Her pictures are so pretty. (My photography skill does not do any justices to the real thing !)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I must agree with Ju that this is really fuss free and so easy to make. In fact I managed to rope my little girl to join making it.

I did not follow the original recipe and I adjusted the quantity according to what I have on hand.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Pots De Creme (original recipe by heights eats)

Ingredients :

- 2 cups heavy cream (**I used 1 cup**)
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 115g semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, or a combination (
- 6 egg yolks (** I used 3 egg yolks **)
- 3 tbsp sugar (** I used 1.5tbsp**)
- Dash of salt (preferably sea salt)

 

Method :

  • Heat the cream, espresso powder and chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, beat together the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a medium-large bowl. Set aside.
  • When the cream mixture is almost at a simmer (ie, almost about to boil but not yet boiling), gradually pour it into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking to combine as you do so. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring almost constantly, on medium-low until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (or reaches 175-180 degrees, if you have an instant read thermometer), about five minutes. Do not let the mixture overheat or worse, burn.
  • Leave the custard in the saucepan to cool slightly before pouring into serving ware of your choice, and then place into the fridge for chilling.
  • (Optional) Serve with whipped (flavoured) cream, or a drizzle of light cream, or with chocolate shavings.

  OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Taste absolutely heavenly. 

My children polished the cup cleaned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment