Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cranberry Coconut Rolls

Remember the Coin Bread I baked recently? Well... it is part 2 of what I did to the balance of the dough that I stashed into the freezer.

I turned them into Cranberry Coconut Rolls!!!!!!!!



This bun/roll is inspired from the recipe "Raisin Coconut Rolls" by my aunt, Amy Beh (the Celebrity Chef) in the column "Cook's Nook" published in The Star newspaper on 10th March, 2010.

Amy Beh (Celebrity Chef, Cook Book Author)

I did not follow the original recipe by her as I used my Coin Bread dough and replaced raisins with cranberries as the latter is preferred by my kids.

This is my version of the Rolls.


Cranberry Coconut Roll

Ingredients

1 portion of the Coin Bread dough

1 small egg
1 tbsp honey
20gm soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
20 gm cold butter, cut into thin strips
50 gm cranberries
25 gm desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp salt


Method :
  • Cover the dough with cling wrap or damp towel and let it prove till double in size.
  • Punch the dough down to release the air from the dough.
  • Shape it into a ball.
  • Let them rest for about 10 -15 mins.
  • Roll it out to a rectangle of 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured tabletop.
  • Beat the egg and honey together lightly with a fork.
  • Brush the rectangular dough with the egg and honey mixture.
  • Sprinkle it with most of the cinnamon powder and soft brown sugar (keep a little for the topping)
  • Combine the desiccated coconut and salt.
  • Keep about 1 tsp of the coconut mixture for topping and spread the rest over the dough.
  • Sprinkle the cranberries evenly onto the surface of the dough.
  • Place a few strips of butter liberally around.
  • Roll the dough tightly into a swiss roll.
  • Cut into even portions (about 2 cm).
  • Place each portion into a muffin tray lined with paper casing.
  • Set aside to proof for another 30-40mins or till doubled in size.
  • Brush the top of the buns with the remaining egg mixture.
  • Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the coconut, sugar and cinnamon powder.
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 15mins or till golden brown.
The aroma of the freshly baked buns was heavenly. The combination of cranberry with coconut was also good and tasty. My niece and nephew dropped into my home just when the buns were about to be taken out from the oven. They tasted them and love it!!!! So... packed some for them to take home too ;-p

The rest were polished up by us at home by the next morning for breakfast.

Therefore I only managed to take the photo of 1 bun (my share) as the rest are all happily stuffed into the tummies;D

Thanks, Aunty Amy for the inspiration!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment