Many people do not like eating Petai aka Parkia speciosa (bitter bean, twisted cluster bean, or stink bean) due to its peculiar smell.
In my family only DH and me like it. My children will not touch any dishes with Petai in them. So I hardly cook this dish at home.
Mom loves Petai especially when cooked with sambal (chill). She yearned it, so my sister bought back some Petai recently and I dished it out for Mom.
Mom is so happy to get to taste this dish despite the fact that it’s a wee bit too spicy (hot) for her.
Sambal Petai Ikan Bilis
1 cup peeled petai seeds
1 cup ikan bilis
i big onion (cut into small wedges)
Salt & Sugar to taste
1/2 cup asam jawa juice
2 tbsp cooking oil
Chili paste :
15 dried chillies
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp belachan stock granules
1. Wash and strain ikan bilis. Place on a microwavable dish and microwave at high for 3 mins or till crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in the pan and saute the onion till fragrant.
3. Add in the ground chilli paste and fry until fragrant.
4. Put in petai and stir-fry briskly.
5. Add in asam jawa juice and and seasoning.
6. Simmer till gravy becomes thick.
7. Add in crispy ikan bilis, Mix well and dish up. Serve with hot steam rice.