Friday, June 25, 2010

Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Fish & Chips


It's been a while since I cooked a western meal for my family. Thought it might be a good idea to change the menu and surprise the family with a western meal.

Fish & chips should be simple. So this is what I made for them.


I cheated as I used a store bought Tempura Black Pepper Fish Fillet.

There were altogether 5 pieces in a box. Just nice for my family as we only need a piece each. So I deep fried them and also some shoe strings / French fries. For the greens, I stir fried some baby French beans with garlic. To add color, I throw in some cherry tomatoes. And Viola... this is a meal.


My children love mashed potatoes. To brighten up their day even more, I made them some creamy mashed potatoes to compliment this dish. Made it earlier in the day as my schedule in the evening was rather packed on that day.



This is a great recipe and the mashed potatoes is so delectable. and creamy.


Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

1 kg potatoes
1/3 cup butter
100gm cream cheese (softened)
1/3 cup whipping cream
Seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Method :
  • Peel potatoes and cut the into small pieces (similar size)
  • Boil the potatoes in a big pot of water for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through or soft.
  • Drain the potatoes and put them back into a dry pot.
  • Mash the potatoes over a low heat to allow all the steam to escape.
  • Remove the pot from the stove and add in all the rest of the ingredients.
  • Continue mashing till creamy before adding the seasoning.
Note : If you prepare this dish way ahead of time, you can let it cool down and store in the fridge (for up to 2 days). To serve, make sure you take it out from the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. Throw a few pats of butter on top and bake it in the oven at 180C/350F for about 20 mins or till the potatoes warmed through.




No comments:

Post a Comment