I have noticed that majoring of my posts are on food. I did not intend to make this a food blog but looks like it is slowing turning into one. Lately, I have found that I need to make many copies of recipes (that I have tried) for my friends. My aunt (Amy Beh) is a celebrity chef and I often try out her recipes. So.. since I am blogging now, I will post those tested recipes and my favourite recipes to make it easier for anyone to access them.
One of my favourite bread recipe is Hokkaido Milk Bread. I made this bread every week and baked them plain or with fillings. Today, I made them into cream cheese buns.
Here is the recipe for the bread.
Hokkaido Milk Bread
540gm High Protein Flour (Bread Flour)
60 gm Low Protein Flour (Cake Flour)
10 gm instant yeast
30gm milk powder
250ml fresh milk
150ml whipping cream
- Mix all ingredients in a mixer.
- Knead till gluten is fully developed and dough is elastic, smooth, non sticky and does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to prove till double in size (about 60 minutes)
- Punch out the dough and divide it into 4 portions.
- Shape them into balls and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Flatten each dough and roll them up (like making a swiss roll).
- Place all the 4 pieces of dough into a 13 x 33 x 12cm loaf pan.
- Allow the dough to rise up to 80% full. (around 45minutes)
- Brush with egg wash and bake in a 180C oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove bread immediately from tin onto a cooling rack. Serve.
Since I have prepared my dough in advanced in the weekend. I simply pull out 1 packet from the freezer and proceed to defrosting and proving.
I marked the pack for better identification :
HMB = Hokkaido Milk Bread
397 = weight of dough in gm
25/09 = Date the dough was made.
Left the dough to prove for about 4 hours today.
When it has doubled in size, I punch it down.
Divided it into 8 portions and formed into balls. Let them rest for 15 minutes.
Filled them with cream cheese filling* and shaped them.
Leave them to prove for 45 minutes.
Egg wash them and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 12 minutes.
*For cream cheese filling :
Cream 25gm Butter with 30gm icing sugar till well combined.
Add in 125gm cream cheese and a pinch of salt. Cream till well blended.
Add in 1 egg yolk. Cream till smooth.
Mix in 10gm cornflour and 25gm raisin.
Refrigerate until firm before use.